[icecast] Debian and ices0

Keegan Quinn ice at wasteland.respond2.com
Mon Aug 4 17:40:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:53:46PM -0700, Keegan Quinn wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:55:04AM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Are you planning on packaging ices 0.3 as well?
>
> I had not previously, because I don't personally have any need for MP3
> streaming, since Ogg Vorbis is working so well.  :)  I've sent a quick
> note to a Debian developer who had expressed interest in the past; if he
> is no longer interested, I'll make up some packages myself.

I've spoken with the other developer, Emmanuel le Chevoir, and he is still
interested, but has even less free time than myself.

We've also briefly discussed some potential legal issues with the
distribution of ices0 binaries in Debian; we cannot distribute LAME or
liblame, of course, which I believe ices0 depends on, for MP3 encoding.

Would it be possible, or would it make sense, to distribute ices0 without
LAME?  Emmanuel told me that the icecast-client currently in Debian
(for the old icecast 1) manages to stream MP3s without re-encoding them,
so I am curious as to whether this might be a reasonable approach for
ices0 as well.

On the other hand, the confusion of distributing a crippled ices0 might be
more trouble than it's worth.  I'm interested to hear ideas and thoughts
on this matter.

Thanks,

 - Keegan