[icecast] Icecast drop in replacement for shoutcast

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Apr 19 03:34:22 UTC 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Daniel Seebald wrote:

> When I tried to connect to the icecast2 server my shoutcast DSP just
> says "Connecting..."
> and a few seconds later it says "Not Connected."
> When I do a tail -f on error.log and access.log of the icecast2 server
> the connection attempt
> doesn't appear in the log-files.

ah.  You've been caught by the old port+1 thing.  The Nullsoft shoutcast
server serves on one port and listens on another.  To avoid confusion on
the part of shoutcast users, when the listener specifies a port in the
shoutcast DSP, the DSP actually tries to connect to that port plus 1.  So
using defaults, specifying port 8000 will result in a connection attempt on
8001.

There are 2 ways to deal with this.  Using the above example, either tell
shoutcast DSP to connect to 7999, or use multiple <listen-socket> elements
to get icecast to listen on both 8000 and 8001.

Geoff.