[icecast] Feature requests - remote dump and optional file split

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Sep 28 12:34:26 UTC 2002

Hi:

I've been hired to provide, among other things, internet coverage for a
convention in 2 weeks.  I have two feature requests, one highly desired and
one moderately desired.

My moderately desired feature has been mentioned before - server-side
recording of the stream.  As in the cases mentioned previously, I'd like to
be able to repeat segments without having to upload them first.  Since I'll
be using a modem on site, I'd have to spend 3 hours of down-time uploading
a dump of a 3-hour session before it could be repeated server-side.  This
is only moderately desired because, if push came to shove, I could repeat
it from the site itself if necessary, though I'd have to keep the line up.

The highly desired feature also relates to repeats.  I notice that ices now
allows for sending new tag information upon receipt of a signal.  This is
very useful as it allows you to keep the listener informed as to what
they're listening to.  I would like to be able to configure ices or icecast
to start a new dump file when this happens.  The reason for doing this is
that I can then delete the ones I don't want and rerun the various sessions
without rerunning the time between them.  Obviously this setup won't suit
everyone - someone doing a music show wouldn't want it for example, but
someone in my position would find it useful.

Unfortunately I don't have the programming skills to make these features a
reality, but I would certainly be greatful and will use them at the
convention if they appear.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html