[icecast] icelogin in icecast2

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Sep 27 12:28:59 UTC 2002

At 09:50 PM 9/27/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Moritz Grimm wrote:
>
>> P.S.: While installing Icecast2 myself once again today, I noticed that
>> the current reference icecast.xml lacks the new <icelogin> directive,
>> which also can be either 0 or 1, and is 0 by default. If you want to use
>> a source client that doesn't support http basic auth yet, like Oddcast
>> DSP RC5, you have to add <icelogin>1</icelogin> somewhere within the
>> <icecast> directive.
>
>I thought that this would activate icelogin support without killing the
>HTTP auth.  But it seems to me to be one or the other.  Is this how it
>should be or is this a bug?

It's not a bug. icelogin will probably go away entirely at some point,
it's deliberately neither documented nor supported.

>When I enabled icelogin, without editing my current CVS ices at all, I got
>these:

Right, ices2 requires http basic auth. I'll look at making it not loop
like this.
>And it goes on.
>
>I was looking at making the server available to someone wishing to use MP3
>streaming with the shoutcast DSP plugin.  The way I understand it, they'll
>need the old style login.  Is this correct?

Icecast2 doesn't support shoutcast login (and more generally, it has
extremely limited mp3 support). Use icecast1.x for that.

Mike