[icecast] icecast2 relaying

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Sep 4 08:57:14 UTC 2002

At 10:06 AM 9/4/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can someone enlighten me, how does icecast2 stream relaying work? Is it
>same (pull-style) setup like in icecast 1.x? in the config file, I see
>elements like:
>
>    <master-server>127.0.0.1</master-server>
>    <master-server-port>8001</master-server-port>
>    <master-update-interval>120</master-update-interval>
>    <master-password>hackme</master-password>
>
>would this tell the icecast server to get some streams from this
>"master" server? (why the password then?) or would this push some
>streams to this "master" server? what is the update interval for?

Relaying (icecast2 does pull relaying) works like this:
Every <master-update-interval> seconds, the 'slave' server gets a list
of all the current streams from the 'master' server. The password is
required to get this list (actually getting the streams doesn't
require a password, of course - since the slave just acts like a normal
client there, but this provides a simple way to restrict full relaying).

Then, the slave fetches (a normal HTTP GET request) each of these
streams, and provides a mountpoint for each of these (at this point,
the relayed streams are indistinguishable from 'normal' streams to
connecting clients).

Mike