[icecast] ices - cpu cycles - re encodig

Richard richard at freespeech.org
Wed Oct 30 21:53:50 UTC 2002

Bastard is used in a negative context here :) A snippit of a top
command reveals:

PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
3246 root      15   0  2436 2436  1280 S    10.5  3.9   0:14 ices

                <encode>
                       <nominal-bitrate>8000</nominal-bitrate>
                       <samplerate>11025</samplerate>
                       <channels>1</channels>
                <quality>-1</quality>
                </encode>

Seems like its chewing up a lot a cpu cycles or is this by design?

Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:

> At 11:17 AM 29/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >I'm doing a top on my server (ices2 and icecast2 from CVS) and ices
> >is using 14% of my cpu cycles - bastard!  One channel is doing
> >reencoing and when I just play an ogg without reencoding. The ogg
> >file was encoded at 64kbs 44khz
>
> Is this praise, a bug report, a question, or other? If you're having
> a problem with the software, it helps if you state what the problem
> _is_.
>
> Michael
>

> --- >8 ----
> 'icecast-request at xiph.org' containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in
> the body.  No subject is needed. Unsubscribe messages sent to the
> list will be ignored/filtered.

Richard
   .' `.
  |a_a|       Richard at Jacana.Net