[icecast] Multiple streams for different quality settings ?

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Oct 14 13:38:21 UTC 2002

At 08:58 AM 10/14/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Wouter Cuypers wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I would like to send 3 streams to my server, three times exactly the
>>same audio but with different quality setting to get a low, medium and
>>high quality stream.
>>I've got icecast2 setup on a debian server and I'm streaming ogg with
>>oddcast from winamp, everything's working just fine.
>>Is there another win32 package to get this done ? We are going to do
>>live audio in the end so we could use a dedicated linux box as well.

I've written a stream transcoder which you could also use, you can run it
in GUI (win32/unix) or command-line mode and it's job is to do just what
you want, transcode the stream from one bitrate to another.  Essentially,
you'd send one stream (highest quality) to your server, and then at the
server you would run 2 instances of the transcoder, it listens in just like
a listener and transcodes the stream to any bitrate/samplerate you want
(and format too - i.e. you can go from MP3 to Vorbis, etc.)  A few people I
know are using it just for this purpose (to provide lower quality streams
of their main high quaity streams)...Obviously there are caveats, such as
transcoding doesn't come free, and does take quite a bit of CPU, which you
may or may not want on your streaming server...But you do get the added
flexibility of using whatever source client you want to use (as opposed to
one that supports multiple streams)...And if you bandwith is limited at
your source stream (quite often people simply using their home DSL or
cable) then sending 3 streams of varying bitrates sometimes is just not an
option....

anyway, if you want to get it, http://transcoder.sourceforge.net

oddsock