[icecast] synchronization issues...

jessew jessew at holly.colostate.edu
Mon Oct 7 04:34:28 UTC 2002

Now that my encoder doesn't broadcast static anymore... I've run into another
problem.  Here's what I'm trying to do (tell me if I'm crazy, because there's
probably a better way to do this...)

My roommate have two separate computers (and two speaker systems) and would
like to listen to the same stuff in the room.  So, I figure, set up an icecast
server, tune our media players to that, and then launch another instance of
WinAmp or XMMS to send a stream on through.

However, sometimes it can be a pain to sync the audio out of both our
speakers.  Significant improvements came from turning buffering and
prebuffering as low as they can go on each of the clients.  But it's still not
perfect...  And you can only go so low on the bitrate before it sounds yukky.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jesse