[icecast] Always starts playing at the beginning of a stream

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Oct 3 18:42:33 UTC 2002

mkong at intisoft.com wrote:
> Is there a way to force a client to always start playing at the beginning of a stream?

Yes, point the client to a webserver like Apache or Icecast's fileserve.
One way to do this without confusing the visitors would be to use an
.m3u playlist file.

For example:

/var/www/htdocs/ondemandstream.ogg and
/var/www/htdocs/ondemandstream.m3u exist, and the .m3u contains one line
like

The visitor's browser will download the .m3u, pass it on to a client
like Winamp, which will then stream the file ondemandstream.ogg off the
server. You don't need to set up a separate web server to achieve this,
e.g. Icecast2 has the <fileserve> directive that allows people to
download/stream arbitary files from Icecast2's <webroot> directory. I
guess Icecast1 has similar functionality.

> Currently, the client starts from wherever ices is playing at, unfortunately, this is not ideal for my situation.

That's the nature of live streaming.