[icecast] icecast2 connect / reconnect

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Oct 3 14:18:51 UTC 2002

At 12:41 PM 10/3/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Michael Smith wrote:
>> This looks like the two sources successfully connected, some clients
>> then successfully connected to those sources, and then the sources
>> disconnected later on. Where's the problem?
>
>The problem is that the source does not intend to disconnect.
>
>The whole setup is the following:
>
>1. server machine, with both icecast 1.x and icecast2 installed
>2. encoder, running one darkice instance, encoding 3 streams: two Ogg
>Vorbis sent to the icecast2 server, one mp3, sent to the icecast 1.x server
>
>each encoding session is supposed to last 4 hours.
>
>in the setup above, both connections to the icecast2 server are dropped,
>while the connection to the icecast 1.x is not. I can not think of any
>other reason than icecast2 drops the connection.

Ah. My confusion comes from your initial report, which said
"these reconnects don't succeed", which directly contradicts what you
said here.

I've had a look at the source. There was one possible (but very unlikely -
it requires certain buffers to be exactly the right size at exactly the
wrong time, as well as some other things happening simultaneously) bug,
which I've now fixed. I also added extra debug-level log statements
on source disconnect, which should tell you with a little more detail
what the reason for the source disconnect was.

If it now works reliably/correctly, then the obscure bug was indeed
being triggered. If not, this is almost certainly a (source) client
bug.

Michael