[icecast] Ices issues

Karl Heyes karl at pts.tele2.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 16:51:45 UTC 2002

On 2002.11.23 15:41 Geoff Shang wrote:

> My main concern is that it looks like ices was leaking memory.  I heard my
> noisy removable hard drive (which has the swap and root FS on it) start to
> be accessed more than usual, which clued me into this.  Here's the
> situation after the broadcast had been going for about 2 hours:
>
> root      9247  0.1 66.3 45476 20168 pts/0   S    14:53   0:11 [ices]
> root      9248  0.0 66.3 45476 20168 pts/0   S    14:53   0:00 [ices]
> root      9249  0.0 66.3 45476 20168 pts/0   S    14:53   0:00 [ices]
> root      9250 22.1 66.3 45476 20168 pts/0   R    14:53  26:42 [ices]
> root      9251 77.0 66.3 45476 20168 pts/0   R    14:53  92:44 [ices]
>
> I'm not real concerned about the CPU usage, as it is a P2/266.  However,
> the RAM looks high.  The system load was around 1.5 or 1.6 at this stage.

If you are maxing the CPU then the queues for the instance threads
will back up, and I know you've already seen that effect :)

You could try the queue length limit patch to limit the memory usage
but I suspect the core problem is that the CPU isn't able to get
through it all, so ices queues up the work taking memory.

> I don't know whether this problem occurs if I remove one of the 3
> activities going on here, it might take longer to show up in such cases.
> I have to watch my bandwidth for the next week till the end of the month,
> but then I can go again and see how it manages with a simpler setup.

It depends on how far behind it gets and whether the work reduction
is enough, see if there is a increased memory usage when running just
test64 and savefile (when bandwidth issues allow)

> The other thing I noticed was the last 2 or so minutes are not present in
> the saved stream file.  Ogginfo also says:
>
> Warning: EOS not set on stream 1
>
> I don't know if this is related to the other issue or not.

It won't be, but I'm not surprised it occurs.

karl.