[icecast] directory servers

Scott Prive scottprive at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 21 23:29:54 UTC 2002

> www.icecast.org contains information regarding the icecast=20
> 1.x releases.=20
> Development on that series has stopped in favor of Icecast2=20
> and Ices2, for=20

Are you serious???

The development state of "Icecast 1" vs. Icecast2 has *nothing* to do =
with the
web site. Not from a user perspective anyways.

What's infuriating is you're not even ASKING for help.. you're =
justifying
NEGLECT. The *.icecast.org web family is ABANDONED.=20

LISTEN to your users; you won't hear a PEEP from the people who simply =
hit
"Back" on their webbrowser will you?=20

I'd have more sympathy for your position if you said you were in dire =
need of
volunteers to impliment some improvements you have in mind, but that's =
not
what you're saying.

Here are some constructive suggestions:
1) Fix the directory server, or TAKE IT DOWN. My guess is there has been =
no
decision to take it down, and for whatevr reason, no one wants to FIX =
it. If
the directory server protocol has changed in Icecast2, then consider =
running
an Ices2 directory server. If the Icecast2 directory code is not yet =
ready..
then it's probably premature to declare Icecast1 dead isn't it?

2) Are there NO Icecast2 issues worthy of a FAQ?

3) Are there NO Icecast2 Development milestones & success which are
newsworthy?

4) How about links to other applications that have dependencies on =
Icecast?
You know.. "community" stuff.

5) If nothing happens for a very long time, just say so. Every few =
months a
web note of "Hello... we're still here..." will be informative, since it
indicates someone cares (and shows you still know tha password)

If I sound unfairly harsh, it's because of justifying the state of the =
website
being due to the Icecast1 to Icecast2 transition.=20

Seriously... if you need help, put up a "Help Wanted" webpage with a =
list of
many small TODO items people could claim.

It's good to hear there is work on updated web pages. Looking forward to =
it.
:-)

Peace,

Scott