[icecast] automake problem

Lukas Österreicher lukas.oesterreicher at inode.at
Tue Nov 19 21:55:15 UTC 2002

Hi again.

Which version of automake is used for the sources of icecast (& co)?
Which versions of automake will be able to work with the files on cvs?

I'd also like to ask you if some of you got to build the icecast 2 sources correctly
with redhat 7.2, 7.3 or 8.0.

I am getting the following error doing an ./autogen.sh:

I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for icecast, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 8: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  libtoolize --automake
  automake --add-missing
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
[...]
  autoconf
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

The latest error with ltconfig just came up after messing up with different automake versions,
as it told somewhere this came from incompatibilites between automake 1.4 and 1.5.

It known redhat messes around with all those make things, and others, using old versions
and putting patches in them - which gets very confusing. Maybe this is the case here too?

Also, can someone tell me how to clear up messes after fooling around with
rpm doing up and downgrades also using --nodeps?

I really hope you can help me or i'm up for setting up my linux router all again.

Thanx in advance,
Lukas