[icecast] Freedomaudio player

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Nov 11 12:36:05 UTC 2002

At 10:16 AM 11/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>Got Icecast2 running on Redhat8 with IceS2 as a source, streaming some OGG
>files. All works nicely (not _especially_ reliable :) but it seems to lock
>up the Freedomaudio java player between tracks.

Please, if you have reliability problems, submit bug reports! There's no
other way these will get fixed. http://bugs.xiph.org/

>Everytime a new file begins, the player stops and says 'Loading'.
>I'm wondering if it's somehthing to do with metadata -
>is there a way of disabling metadata from IceS2? (i.e. just the track
>title changes?)

No (this is a serious client bug, chained streams are a required part
of Vorbis I).

>Works fine in Winamp - does IceS2 actually disconnect the source between
>tracks though?

No.

>Finally, can anyone suggest a source client that does wot IceS2 does, but
>that can 'crossfade' ogg tracks? Preferrably with scriptable playlists :)

Crossfading is horribly annoying, please don't do it. Obviously, any
software which DOES do it has to be reencoding at runtime, rather than
just sending the playlist contents. Degrades quality, uses a lot of cpu,
and then the crossfading itself is just irritating.

Michael