[icecast] Re [ogg]

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Nov 10 13:48:50 UTC 2002

At 05:19 AM 10/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Ok I installed ices and everything installed fine. What am I supposed to
>run to stream .ogg files? icecast or ices? All I want to do is to start
>a streaming server for ogg/vorbis files. I guess what is confusing is
>why I need to run an icecast server and an ices server. Another thing
>that is confusing is why when I type in /usr/local/bin/ices /var/path
>to/ices-playlist.xml
>absolutely nothing seems to happen.
>Do I need to have icecast, ices-live and ices-playlist all running to be
>able to serve a static ogg file?

You need icecast2 and ices2.
If you just want to make ogg files available for download (which includes
playing them in your favourite media player), you can use icecast2 by
itself.

If you want to do playlist-based streaming, you must configure icecast2,
then configure ices2 to connect to it.

Then you must provide a playlist, which should contain one line per
filename, giving the files you wish to stream in the order you wish to
stream them.

Then you should run icecast2, followed by ices2.

Then it'll just sit there quietly (producing output only to the log
file(s) by default), and you can connect a player to it (like winamp,
or xmms, or ogg123).

Michael