[icecast] memory, processor, bandwidth

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu May 23 21:50:32 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 christophe.guerin at etud.univ-pau.fr wrote:

> * 14kB of memory for every listener you want to broadcast to (i.e. 1,000
>   listeners means you need 14 Megabytes of RAM), plus whatever your
>   operating system needs for overhead, plus 1.5MB for the server's
>   base requirements.  Don't set the listener count higher than you need,
>   it just screws things up.

IIRC, icecast allocates memory and resources dynamically, whereas shoutcast
allocates them up front, based on the maximum number of clients as
specified in the config.  So using the above example, shoutcast will use
15.5 MB of RAM *all the time*, whether you have 100 listeners or 1.  Having
said that, I don't know the per listener figure for icecast.

Oh and there are, I believe, win32 ports of icecast.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html