[icecast] Bad stuttering with Winamp 2.80

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Tue May 21 23:13:35 UTC 2002

Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> writes:
> What icecast version are you using?  There was a bug prior to 1.3.11
> that caused this exact symptom.

I am using 1.3.12+patch at the moment. That patch I have on it was the
one I submitted earlier which fixes the problem with the wrong
arguments passed to snprintf in the avl code. That shouldn't affect
sound.

I'm fairly certain it's a change in winamp. I'm not yet sure I want
to tell nullsoft that they've busted icecast streaming. ;)

Can you refresh my memory as to what this bug involved?

Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org> writes:
> If you've isolated it to winamp, why complain here? :)

I wasn't complaining. I was attempting to see if anyone else had seen
this problem.

Besides, they've made some rather absurd claims about software which
leads me to believe they are less competant than those here. ;)

> Perhaps their buffering code changed?  Can you see if the headers
> are the same from icecast for both copies of winamp?  Perhaps they
> changed the user agent or something.

User agent was "WinampMPEG/2.7" now it's "WinampMPEG/2.8". Is there
a way to get more information?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

A neighbor asked Nasrudin to borrow his donkey. "It is out
on loan," said the Mulla. At that moment the donkey was
heard to bray, somewhere inside the stable. "But I can hear
it bray, in there."

"Whom do you believe," said the Mulla, "me or a donkey?"