[icecast] Icecast occasionally not dropping aliased/relayed sources

Ben Yeldon portunus at portunus.net.nz
Thu May 16 10:46:22 UTC 2002

Hello,

At the university I work at, we are running Icecast 1.3.12 under FreeBSD 4.5.
There are 2 sources being fed from another local machine as well as 13
aliased sources which come from an ISP owned by our upstream bandwidth
provider.  These are mostly 128kbit with a few 192kbit streams.

The majority of the time it works fine, however occasionally I notice that the
external stream is not dropped when there is noone listening to it.  If I look at
the list.cgi page it shows the source streams connected with 0 listeners
each.  If I use the admin interface to disconnect those streams that works
fine, but any future people that listen will cause the streams to remain
connected when they disconnect it.  Killing and restarting icecast is the only
way I've found to solve this problem.

kick_relays in icecast.conf is currently set to 10 - I've tried changing this but it
doesn't seem to fix the problem I've been having.

I'm running it on an old Dual Pentium 100 so I've had to define OPTIMIZE and
SAVE_CPU in icecast.h.  Having done this means I can serve about 60
listeners before the CPU utilisation gets too high which is enough for our
needs.

If noone has heard of this before I could temporarily move icecast onto a more
powerful box with a similar setup of FreeBSD so I can enable debugging if it
would help give a clue as to where the problem is.

I'm sorry this description is pretty vague - I've had this problem on and off for 2
months now and I've tried to figure out some sort of pattern to do with clients
connecting, sources, number of listeners or any common events but can't
seem to find anything obvious.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me with this.

Ben.