[icecast] Looking for a non-graphical mp3 streaming tool

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Fri Mar 29 19:17:16 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:02:14PM -0800, Bob Van Cleef wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I want to use a headless, debian linux box (no console) as my audio
> streamer.  I've installed shoutcast and icecast multiple times without
> problems, but I have yet to find a streaming tools as effective as WinAMP
> on a windows box.
>
> I don't need the graphics and don't want to listen to the source on the
> server (a sparcstation 10), I just want something that I can use to
> develop a playlist from my 3Gig mp3 collection and feed a stream to the
> icecast server.
>
> I've looked through http://www.icecast.org/index.html, in the past, but
> doesn't appear to be updated that often.  (Last news was posted Tuesday,
> August 7, 2001)
>
> Pointers to a nice tool set would be appreciated.

hi

with the MuSE[1] you find in CVS[2], soon to be released as 0.7, you
should be able to do from commandline:

./muse -o -c -s myserver.mydomain.org -x mypass -n stream_name
/home/me/mp3/*

to stream all the mp3 in that directory, without any GUI popping up

better if you do playlists (.pls or .pl or .m3u) if you want to stream
reading files from multiple directories.

anyway try out muse -h for a complete list of options

feedback about bugs and ideas!

cheers

[1] - http://muse.dyne.org
[2] - http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/muse

--
jaromil  ][   http://dyne.org   ][  GnuPG _key__id_
EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46  D77A 58B0 82D6 (5B6E 6D97)