[icecast] 99% cpu usage help

Tim Hart heytph at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 21 19:33:53 UTC 2002

Thanks.

In my rc.icecast script, I put a >/tmp/icecast.out and a
2>/tmp/icecast.err to try and follow your advice.  When I turned it
on, I got alot of "You can run, but you can't hide" lines over and
over in the icecast.out file.  I tracked it down in the code and
found src/admin.c was printing the message.  The function
handle_admin function has a while loop that prints the message which
is llike this.

        while (con->food.admin->alive && thread_alive (mt)) {
                /* con->sock will be STDOUT, so special case reading
to use STDIN */
                if (fd_read_line_nb(fileno(stdin), line, BUFSIZE))
                        handle_admin_command (con, line, ice_strlen
(line));
                else
                        fd_write_line (con->sock, "You can run, but
you can't hide!");

        }

I added a system ("sleep 5"); before the fd_write_line... function
call and it brought my CPU percentage down to nothing.

Keep in mind that I AM NOT A C PROGRAMMER.  I don't know what this
function does and I'm sure there are 20 ways I could've done this
better.  I'm sure I screwed something up but I can still stream audio
and my CPU is not dying now.  (Maybe the admin stuff doesn't work??)
This may be better suited for the development thread but, oh well.

Do You Yahoo!?
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com