[icecast] ices bitrate encoding mode?

D. Anthony Patrick dapatrick at danthony.net
Mon Jul 29 22:29:50 UTC 2002

Michael,

> I had a bug report that it was crashing though - I haven't looked into it
> yet. Might be only with mis-configured setups.
>
> Just specify (instead of <quality>3</quality>), any of:
>   <nominal-bitrate>value in bits per seconds</nominal-bitrate>
>   <maximum-bitrate>val</maximum-bitrate>
>   <minimum-bitrate>val</minimum-bitrate>
> along with
>   <managed>1</managed>

Could you please submit a full <instance> example for those of us who still
can't get managed bitrate encoding working correctly.

In addition, I'm getting a segmentation fault when encoding at bitrates <=
44000.  Is this a known issue or a limitation?  Using gdb (gdb ices) I get:

(gdb) run ices-playlist.xml
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/ices ices-playlist.xml
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 7503)]
[New Thread 2049 (LWP 7504)]
[New Thread 1026 (LWP 7505)]

[Switching to Thread 1026 (LWP 7505)]
0x4011b17f in drfti1 () from /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
(gdb)

/usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 is the one that came packaged in the RPM from
vorbis.com.  However, earlier this morning I was using the latest CVS version
(latest as of this morning) of libvorbis and got the same error.  Here is a
config snippet used to get the above:

<instance>
    <hostname>mystreamer.net</hostname>
    <port>9000</port>
    <password>changeme</password>
    <mount>/alpha40.ogg</mount>
    <reconnectdelay>2</reconnectdelay>
    <reconnectattempts>5</reconnectattempts>
    <maxqueuelength>80</maxqueuelength>
    <encode>
        <managed>1</managed>
        <nominal-bitrate>44000</nominal-bitrate>
        <!-- <minimum-bitrate>40000</minimum-bitrate> -->
        <maximum-bitrate>44000</maximum-bitrate>
        <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
        <channels>2</channels>
    </encode>
</instance>

As soon as I push nominal up to 45000, It works, but still not constant.  It
fluctuates between 30 and 70kbps!

I'm combing through the code now, but I'm kind of learning C at the same time.
I'll try to be as much help as possible.

Thank you (I'm not complaining;  vorbis is great!),

Darian

--
D. Anthony Patrick
Open Sourceror