Possibly solved: Re: Does Ices need GCC3? Was: Re: [icecast] Trouble running IceS

JW jw at centraltexasit.com
Sun Jul 28 07:14:09 UTC 2002

On Sunday 28 July 2002 02:06 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 28 July 2002 01:30 am, you wrote:
> > Whenever I try to run it (ices)I get errors:
> >
> > cadmium:/work/dl/Audio/streaming/ices-0.2.3 # /usr/local/icecast/bin/ices
> > --help /usr/local/icecast/bin/ices: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> It looks to me like ibgcc_s.so.1 is part of gcc3. I to happen to have gcc3
> installed in /opt/experimental, but I seriously doubt that configure or
> make found it by accident.

Well, my guess is that I _should_ be using gcc3. I've actuall never done that before, do I manuall set CC=gcc3 in the Makefile?
At any rate, I added /opt/experimental/lib to ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig, after which I finally get some useful potput from ices:

cadmium:/work/dl/Audio/streaming/ices-0.2.3/conf # /usr/local/icecast/bin/ices
DEBUG: Sending following information to libshout:
DEBUG: Stream: 0
DEBUG: Host: localhost  Port: 8000
DEBUG: Password: letmein        Icy Compat: 0
DEBUG: Name: Cool ices default name from XML    URL: Cool ices URL from XML
DEBUG: Genre: Cool ices genre from XML  Desc: Cool ices description from XML
DEBUG: Bitrate: 128     Public: 1
DEBUG: Mount: ices      Dumpfile: (null)
Logfile opened
DEBUG: Initializing playlist handler...
DEBUG: Initializing builting playlist handler...
Could not find a valid playlist file.
Ices Exiting...

Will try rebuilding with gcc3 on purpose later on....

Not meaning to diss anyone, but the documentation on this project leaves a little to be desired. If GCC3 is a requirement it's well worth stating explicitly, if for no other reason than to make the newbies be quiet :-).

Thanks,

        JW