[icecast] sluggish stream problem - help

Reuben D. Budiardja rbudiard at utk.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:12:36 UTC 2002

Hi,
I am a newbie here. I just tried to set up mp3 streamer server on Redhat
Linux 7.2, using icecast and shout. I then tried to connect to the
server, from another machine and different LAN, using xmms. And the
stream is so sluggish, it gets cuts off for every 2 seconds or so.

Both LANs (the server and where I am connected from) are T1. My mp3 was
all encoded in 128 KBps. I then asked someone from the same LAN as the
server to connect. And the problem remains.

So, I am wondering what might be the problem. It could be that the
bitrate is too high / too bandwith costly. If anyone has any suggestion
or advice, I would really appreciate it.

But if the problem is the too higher bitrate, is there anyway I can
re-encode to lower bitrate on the fly, before I stream it? What software
should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reuben D. Budiardja