[icecast] Icecast is cool, but how about video?

Webmaster at chat-radio.de Webmaster at chat-radio.de
Sun Jul 7 12:42:12 UTC 2002

> > I use real server to broadcast live video streams from my studio ( using
> > icecast to broadcast the audio ) to clients using real player ( of which
> > there also is a free version of ) and I don't pay a dime. I don't know
how
> > much more free something can get. But, you sir, can believe whatever
you'd
> > like to...
>
> Free means that you may use for any purpose, redistribute, modify and
> redistribute the modified version of a program. It's not about cost.
> Real is so closed that only Real themselves can make a player. Their
> player is very intrusive into the system it's installed to, and clueless
> users get tricked into subscribing to newsletter AKA spam by Real and if
> they don't reconfigure the client, they also send statistical data to
> Real that should stay private. I'm talking about free as in freedom, not
> as in "free beer". Apart from that, Real's software is a nuisance to
> use. It DOES perform well technically, e.g. in terms of quality at low
> bitrates (44kbps sounds almost as good as Vorbis' 48kbps ABR), but it's
> ressource hungry and not trustworthy, too. I wouldn't install and run
> any server that I (and everyone else) don't know about what it actually
> does, for both security and privacy reasons. I don't trust Real just
> like I don't trust Microsoft. You seem to be happy with blindly trusting
> proprietary software and companies making them, I don't. That's why I
> don't recommend it to anyone and tell my concerns instead.
>

> Moritz
Real wants to get the user's data wherever the can.. The players are bad for
all
systems i know and the most users are not verry happy if they have to use
Real Prducts..
BUT there is one thing, icecast/MP3 can not give us: Real Audio 8 has a ver
high compression at
a very good quality, an 24k Stream in Stereo!! sounds like an MP3 Audio
Stream @ 40k Mono..

Real Server is only free for 30 days.

Greets,

Pandur2000