[icecast] Minimum specs

Mikel Waxler fox at bork.hampshire.edu
Wed Jan 16 01:02:16 UTC 2002

I'm not on the list so could you please reply directly. Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a campus radio station and one of the things we want to do
is allow bands to broadcast from anywhere on campus.

The way we are planning on doing this is by giving them a Panasinc
toughbook thats running debian and liveice. It would be taking in a live
stream, encoding it, and sending it to our server running iceS.

What are the minimum specs required to do the above? The only info I got
on the subject was from a friend that said his p75 just barely played
mp3's. How intensive is encoding?

What are people's experience with slower machines? Right now we are
looking at a P266 with 64mb. Is that satisfactory?

Mikel