[icecast] Number of listeners per server box ?

Allen Landsidel all at biosys.net
Sun Jan 13 22:30:51 UTC 2002

At 13:53 01/13/2002 -0800, Peter Skye wrote:
>I have a proposal from RackSpace to put icecast on the following
>hardware at their server farm.  Can someone give me a "guesstimate" of
>how many listeners each box can support?
>
>Proposed hardware by RackSpace for each server box:
>
>   Dual 866 MHz processor
>   2 GB ECC RAM
>   100 Mbps connection
>
>I need to know how many listeners can connect to each of these boxes.

Assuming you have infinite bandwidth, that machine should be enough to
handle.. oh I don't know, nearly and infinite number of listeners.

You mention that you know "bandwidth is a limiting factor" but the fact is,
it is *the* limiting factor.

I bet you'll run into memory bandwidth issues (PC66/100/133, DDR, RDRAM,
whatever) well before the CPU of even a Pentium-133 would be taxed.  I
probably manage about 2 minutes a day of CPU time with 10 listeners on an
athlon 1.2.  By that yardstick, with 1440 minutes in a day, and each
listener requiring about 0.2 minutes, I should be able to serve 7200 users
from this single machine.

That is, of course, assuming I had a 675Mbit/sec line piped into the thing.