[icecast] Number of listeners per server box ?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sun Jan 13 22:08:08 UTC 2002

> Given my experience of running multiple streams on an
> old 486, I'd say you will run out of bandwidth before you
> overpower the server.

Bandwidth is indeed the biggest resources.  We used dual CPU p3-600's at
icast.  We had 4 machines and we built it to easily handle 12,000
listeners over 500 streams.  Only 3 were active at any one time ( the
4th was failover ).  CPU load wasn't an issue at all.

The shout boxes had quite complex perl scripts doing all kinds of stuff,
and there we need the power, but the dual p3-600s were still enough to
pull the weight there.

jack.