[icecast] Number of listeners per server box ?

Peter Skye pskye at peterskye.com
Sun Jan 13 21:53:40 UTC 2002

I have a proposal from RackSpace to put icecast on the following
hardware at their server farm.  Can someone give me a "guesstimate" of
how many listeners each box can support?

Proposed hardware by RackSpace for each server box:

  Dual 866 MHz processor
  2 GB ECC RAM
  100 Mbps connection

I need to know how many listeners can connect to each of these boxes.

I don't know how to specify the hardware that icecast requires.  If
anyone thinks there is a better hardware specification than the one
above I'd love to hear your suggestions along with how many listeners
each server box could support.

I know that the bandwidth of the network is a limiting factor and we're
looking at load balancing to resolve this.  Assuming the network
bandwidth is adequate, the limiting factor would appear to be the server
hardware boxes.

Thanks very much for any help.

- Peter