[icecast] Problem with dual streaming

Moises Soto glester at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:05:28 UTC 2002

I've been using liveice to feed an encoded stream to an icecast broadcast
server. Now I want to feed two streams at the same time to the broadcast
server.

To acomplish that I am using a dual soundcard setup in a debian linux
server.

I've setup two different mountpoints in the icecast server wich will receive
the stream and in turn will broadcast the streams to the listeners.
This is, the user will connect to a location on the form of:

    http://hostname:8000/mountpoint1
    or
    http://hostname:8000/mountpoint2

In order to feed the two streams using two different sound sources, I've
used the (not documented) sound_device entry in the liveice configuration
file.
I've set up two different configuration files, each one especifying a
sound_device and  mountpoint.

In my tests I can run liveice using any of the configuration files and it
works perfectly, feeding the sound from the corresponding sound card into
the specified mountpoint.

The problem is, if I try to run two instances of liveice at the same time,
each one using a configuration file, the audio messes up and starts
skipping.

At first it seemed the machine could not handle the encoding of two streams
at the same time, but making some vmstat statistic revealed the CPU was 90%
iddle, and the I/O was acceptable.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me to figure out what could be wrong.

I would also like to know if any one of you knows if liveice is capable of
handling two instances running at the same time, since that could be an
explanation to the problem.