[icecast] 1.3.11 instability on MIPS?

Mike hodson mystica at darktech.org
Tue Feb 26 22:45:37 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:11:45 -0700
Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org> wrote:

> None that I know of, although a while back when I was testing icecast on
> the cobalt raqs their thread libraries weren't great.
>
> jack.

Is there any way I could debug why the server unexpectedly dies?
After around 10-15 hours with normal client load, or a very short time
with me running 'wget http://myserver:8000/' from a fast connection, the
icecast server just up and dies.
I'm mirroring a remote 128kbit cast from a Shoutcast 1.8.3DNAS server if
that helps any.

The first wget test I decided to do was when the client load was about 8
'normal clients'(real winamp/xmms listeners) involved me loading a few
wget processes at a time, and seeing if the stream skipped, as I was one
of the 'normal clients'. After about 40 wget processes had been loaded,
say about 3 or so every 10 seconds it still kept working. Icecast's CPU
load at 58 total clients was about 50% usage. After a few minutes
however, the server just up and died.  I proceeded to do the second test
after I finished this one.

Before this load test, I started the server and was viewing the console
logs. Then I started loading up wget processes on a different server
(both had plenty of bandwidth, 100baseT on both ends) and started about
50 'listener' clients in the space of a few seconds.
Mainly I did: wget http://myserver:8000/ (enter) (up) (enter) over and
over. After I had 50 wget processes, I alt-tabbed over to the other term
window. Icecast showed it had accepted 29 clients and without a peep it
abruptly died back to a shell prompt.
I looked for a core dump file, but couldnt find one.

I know the last test was a real stress test. But since Icecast is the
only streaming server I've found other than Shoutcast (which if they had
a linux libc5/mips binary, Id be running at the moment) I don't really
have many other options.

If someone wants a shell account on the server in question to test and
possibly debug what its doing, let me know. I'd be glad to provide one.

I just would like to know why the stupid thing dies all the time :(

Mike

--
<mystica at darktech.org>