[icecast] Buffering Problems

Keenan Tims ktims at uniserve.com
Wed Feb 13 22:25:01 UTC 2002

I'm trying to set up a web based radio station, not having any problems
getting things working, however I'm having a major problem with buffering on
the remote clients.  Winamp almost constantly buffers when i'm listening on
my 2.5Mbit DSL connection.  With shoutcast it is not a problem (though I
can't use stream-db with it).

Here's the setup:
Duron 850Mhz 320MB RAM
Maxtor 7200RPM 20GB
100mbit FD to switched colo network, realizes speeds of about 30mbit up.
stream-db and stream-php into icecast 1.3.11.  Reencoded to 128kbit, source
is all 192kbit MP3

FYI, my dsl at home is about 5 hops away with pings of approx 13ms, and like
I said it is not a problem at all with shoutcast and ices.

Cranking the buffer up to 320 or 512kbit in winamp solves the problem, but
I'd like it to work properly by default.

--
Keenan Tims
ktims at uniserve.com
UNIServe Online Technical Support
Toll Free: 1-877-864-7378x329 Lower Mainland: 604-856-6281x329
~~
UNIServe Online Disclaimer:
"The sender intends this message for a specific recipient and, as it may
contain information that is privileged or confidential, any use,
dissemination, forwarding, or copying by anyone without permission from the
sender is prohibited. Personal e-mail may contain views that are not
necessarily those of the company".