[icecast] Stuttering stream

LeDiva lunetta at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 6 21:07:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> THen I suggest you start to look elsewhere for your problem.  libshout
> is quite well tested and every time someone has thought it was skipping,
> it turned out to be NTP chaning their clock or a slow harddrive or
> something similar.

I'm saying "Here's this problem I'm having, how do I fix it?" I don't care
if the problem lies with icecast, liveice, libshout, or whatever. I just
want to stream my MP3s.

> What kidn of files are you streaming?

MP3s and nothing but.

> Have you ran them through mp3check and mp3_check?

Yep. Found a couple with a few bad frames and deleted them. Other than
that, nothing worse than a missing ID3 tag or two.

> Is load goign up when it starts skipping?

Nope. Load remains at 0.0, although if ices starts resyncing, load spikes
to 7.5 or higher. The skipping and resyncing are not connected, as far as
I can tell.

> How about disk usage?

I've got about a gig and a half or so free. And as far as hard drive
bottlenecks... I streamed from ShoutCast for ages with no problems
whatsoever.

> Can you monitor bandwidth and make sure sporadic spurts aren't the problem?

As far as I can tell, bandwidth is remaining the same. Interestingly
enough, I have no problems at all streaming static files.

> Is it better if you drastically increase your buffer size?

Buffer was at 64k, bumping it up to 512k still skips.

---
Julia Lunetta
Listen to my music collection... http://julial.dhs.org:8005/