[icecast] CPU Utilization Weirdness

Gary Major gr_major at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:44:12 UTC 2002

Did some more experimenting last night. When I changed icecast and ices back
to 'daemon mode' they lasted for about 5 songs, before tanking. I then tried
combinations of icecast as a daemon and ices not, and vice versa - same
results. Even recompiled without any mods to icecast.

The only thing that seems to work is starting the processes and piping them
to null. The only disadvantage to that is that icecast sucks all available
CPU although it seems to release its hold on the CPU when I start other
programs.

Interesting to note, that this same configuration ran perfectly on RH 6.2
with the default 2.2.x kernel. I have read about different peoples
challenges with the default kernal that shipped with RH 7.1 so I will try to
hack the recent 2.4.x kernel over the weekend and see what happens. Other
alternative is to dedicate a machine to task running RH 6.2 but I don't
really want to do that if I can at all avoid it.

For the record,  I am running 2 streams - different mount points but both
using both the same port (8000). I am using the conf file for iceast, but am
using command line parms for ices.

Anyone have any other thoughts?