[icecast] Internet Streaming

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 01:47:51 UTC 2002

Bill Thomas wrote:
> As of now, I can broadcast my stream to my school's local netowrk, but how
> can I extend it to the "real internet" so people outside of my school's
> domain can hear it ?

That depends on how your school's network is built up. If all hosts have
valid IPs (anything not within the reserved IP ranges for private
networks), anybody can connect to your server already, as long as your
firewall permits that. If you use private address ranges and do NAT and
icecast doesn't run on the gateway, you will have to redirect a port on
the gateway to the server. Example:

Internet

Gateway	   tcp port redirect from
   |	   <someport> to 10.10.0.10:8000

10.10.0.10 icecast server on port 8000
           in the school's LAN

and listen to your stream. The network administrator of you school's
network should be able to answer all further questions, e.g. details on
how to make it work in your particular case.