[icecast] Problems with xmms & freeamp

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Sun Feb 3 12:59:41 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I've just set up a test icecast2 server (download and compiled from cvs
about an hour ago) - very simple setup, all it does is use ices to stream
in an .ogg file that I converted from an mp3, using mpg123 & oggenc.
(I've used the sample conf files with the directory stuff removed. I've
also tried it with and without the re-encoding lines from the
ices-playlist.xml file).

Now, this works beautifully if I play the stream with ogg123, but if I
try to play it using xmms, it just buffers the stream over and over
again (ie, it says Pre-Buffering 8KB... 16KB ... 24KB ... 32KB, shows
the title quickly and then does that again and again...).

If I try and play it with Freeamp, it says "Buffering up ... 20% ... 50%
... 100%" and then "Skipped corrupted file", and stops. No sound from
either of the two programs.

Now, the funny bit is that both XMMS and Freeamp work perfectly with the
Ogg streams that the BBC have put up.

Any ideas? I'm running it all on Debian Linux (latest sid stuff).

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse

"Why not just have the arresting officer execute you on the spot? If you turn
 out to be innocent, they can cancel the invoice for the bullet." -- sharkey