[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 30 15:42:25 UTC 2002

Behold, gtgbr at gmx.net hath decreed:

> > I think his point was Vorbis streaming itself is not all that
> > interesting from the perspective of someone with a collection of
> > mp3s who wants to stream music.
>
> I also answered that before - Vorbis offers significant quality
> improvements at low bitrates, even if the source is MP3. Apart from
> that, compare streaming royalties of Vorbis with those on
> http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/emd.html (in case you're a
> professional).

But technically, how much different is it to stream a vorbis stream than
an mp3 stream? I don't know. From a political and/or economic viewpoint, or
even a technical viewpoint, a vorbis stream may be more desireable than
an mp3 stream. But the technology is still compressed audio streaming, and
that's not much of a revolution. It is applying existing streaming methodology
to a new format: vorbis. That is great, but is it worth giving up the other
features that icecast1 supports today? That's a judgement call I suppose.

> > What does it do? Where is the feature description? Do I have to run
> > it to figure out what it is supposed to do? How am I supposed to even
> > know that icecast2 streams vorbis without searching archives for
> > arguments like this thread?
>
> You know, trying out Icecast2 would've revealed more details than this
> faster than this discussion, too.

It would have for me, yes. But how many man-hours must be spent when each
prospective user wants to find out what icecast2 is supposed to do... hours
that could be saved all around by updating some web page to talk about the
project a little.

icecast.org is not a dead server. It is still responding. Somebody must own
the box. Somebody must have access to it, to either update it, or to take it
offline entirely.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Momento Mori/