[icecast] client kick

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Dec 26 18:33:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:

> I am using Icecast Version 1.3.12.  well shouldnt there be some type of
> auto bandwidth decrease if the client is not able to keep up?

ummm no.   128kbps is 128kbps.  Either you can cope with it or you can't.
MP3 has no mechanisms for changing bitrate on the fly and as a consequence,
servers don't provide this as a feature.  If you want a stream that you can
listen to over a modem, then youll have to stream at an appropriate rate
(24 kbps for 33.6 modems, for example).

> also do you have any clue why my winamp status lamp goe sred then back to
> green.  do you think the server is sending out errors?

Sorry, can't help with this one.  For starters, I hardly ever use winamp
anymore and secondly, I'm blind and can't see the lamp in winamp so I've no
idea what it indicates.

Geoff.