[icecast] Performance icecast

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Dec 13 23:31:56 UTC 2002

"M.C. van Dorp" wrote:
> Now i'm planning to co-locate a server to play my music but i'm kinda
> wondering what kind of specs(processor, memory etc) i need for let's say
> 3000 listeners(32kbit, stereo) at the same time.
> I see the program is not that cpu intensive but can't figure it out
> myself.

If you're lucky and get 100MBit guaranteed, then you might actually be
able to serve that many listeners at 32kbps. In any case, I doubt this
will be very problematic for any fairly recent computer with a good PCI
network card. You're likely to run out of bandwidth prior to cpu cycles.
If you don't re-encode on the server itself, some K6-3/400 with 128MB
RAM or so might provide enough overhead.