[icecast] Another problem...

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Aug 27 14:09:27 UTC 2002

At 11:53 PM 8/27/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>icecast 2.x will maintain content type (mp3, vorbis, etc.) regardless
>of extension, but ending ogg mounpoints with .ogg is recommended as
>a workaround for some very common client bugs (_new_ clients should
>  NOT under any circumstances rely on this)

just a point (or two) worth mentioning, it's not exactly trivial for
clients to support "sniffing the content-type" in this fashion....Keep in
mind that media players are not browsers, and are not coded as such....To
support what you are asking them to support, each media player would have
to have a generic "http request" mechanism that would be able to detect a
stream reference, connect to the appropraite server and retrieve the HTTP
header, read the Content type, and then pass the connected socket onto the
appropriate output plugin (mp3, vorbis, etc.)....While this is definately
something that  *could* be done, it's not something that can easily be done
without serious planning (not to mention rewriting how output plugins
currently work), let alone keeping compatable with older streaming
mechanisms that don't provide a content type....like I said, it's not
impossible, just "harder" than relying on the file extension.....anyway,
just my $0.02...

oddsock