[icecast] Setting up Icecast on a shell?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Aug 23 18:04:14 UTC 2002

First, set up your environment. If you follow my example and use ~/usr
as the prefix, you want the following:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/path_to_your_homedir/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LD_RUN_PATH="/path_to_your_homedir/usr/lib:$LD_RUN_PATH"
export CFLAGS="-I/path_to_your_homedir/usr/include"

You need to have LD_RUN_PATH set, too, so the compiled binaries can find
the libs they're linking to lateron.

Depending on the libs available on the shell computer, you might have to
install a few libraries in your homedirectory prior being able to
compile Icecast. I don't know what Icecast1 needs, but Icecast2 needs
curl, libiconv, libogg, libvorbis, libxml2 and libxslt. The shell should
also have a fairly current libc, libz and libpthread (e.g. I had no luck
installing Icecast on a Linux 2.0 system, anything newer shouldn't cause
problems, though).

When compiling, always use --prefix=~/usr. Also check whether you can
pass more locations to the configure scripts by using --help in advance.
When compiling Icecast2, you might have to use --with-xml-config ...
this is a bit misleading, because it actually wants xml2-config, so
using --with-xml-config=/path_to_your_homedir/usr/bin/xml2-config would
solve that.

Moritz