[icecast] icecast on port 80 NOT as root

Bryan Jay Miller bryan at woxy.com
Tue Aug 20 23:33:02 UTC 2002

This may seem simple but I've looked all over and come up with nothing.
I'm interested in running Icecast 1.3.12 on port 80 to get around the
firewall issue. Obviously it's not prudent to run Icecast at root so I'm
wondering is there any way to safely run Icecast on port 80 using either
setuid or port redirection? Has anyone accomplished this and if so,
how'd you do it?

Thanks!