[icecast] some features of icecast2 beta

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Tue Aug 20 06:55:06 UTC 2002

Michael Smith wrote:
> Relaying (done already) and mp3 streaming (done already - but the support
> for that is pretty limited. No metadata, for example). Serverside stream
> dump doesn't seem terribly important - but if it's something you care
> about, adding it should be easy. Patches welcome.

This is a convenient feature, used by me & other live streamers to
archive their streams. (I already got some people e-mailing me why this
can't be done using darkice & icecast2, while the possibility is there
with icecast 1.x).

> Anything can be set - icecast2 basically doesn't care, it'll send
> any metadata that it receives, for vorbis. You just have to send a
> vorbis stream with the metadata set as you want (in the second
> vorbis header). If you want to update the metadata (i.e. change it
> mid-stream), you have to start a new logical stream within the
> same physical stream, with a new set of headers.

Which libvorbis API calls should I use to close a logical stream and
open a new one? (Currently I create one physical / logical stream, but I
don't know which calls do the physical and which do the logical stream
part.)