[icecast] details of HTTP Basic auth for icecast2

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Aug 19 22:11:11 UTC 2002

At 11:35 PM 8/19/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>A question for the HTTP Basic auth for icecast2: what is the username to
>use when doing such authentication. The related line in the login is:
>
>Authorization: Basic <base64 encoded string>
>
>where the <base64 encoded string> in its original form is:
>
>username:password
>
>now, what username is used? in the config file for the icecast2 server,
>one can only set the password (except for the <changeowner> element, but
>that seems to be not related to the source login issue).
looking at the code, it seems that the user names are actually hard-coded
as "source" and "relay", so connecting a source client would specify
source:hackme base64 encoded....I don't know if this is just a placeholder
or in fact the way it is intended to work for real...Michael probably would
answer that best...

>protocol. The whole login sequence seems like the following:
>
>SOURCE /<mountpoint> HTTP/1.0
>ice-name: <name>
>ice-url: <url>
>ice-genre: <genre>
>ice-bitrate: <bitrate>
>ice-public: <public>
>ice-description: <description>
>

>this seems like a mule, sort of half-HTTP, half-ICE. is this the intended
>login protocol for the beta release?

actually, I think this is completely valid HTTP syntax..I don't think there
is anything preventing you from implementing a different method (i.e.
SOURCE as opposed to GET or POST) and the ice-* headers are simply HTTP
headers specific to a SOURCE request....The ICE part of the protocol is
what the server responds back with....I think at least....I could be wrong...

oddsock