[icecast] ices - unable to compile

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Apr 16 13:02:45 UTC 2002

Hi:

OK, first, disclaimer. Iv'e never used or compiled ices 0.2.2.
Accordingly, any or all of what I'm about to say may be incorrect.
However, I'm sure I'll be corrected if any of it's wrong.

I looked at the output of ./configure and make.  Assuming there were no
actual errors in the make process (none were printed, but errors go to
stderr), I think your problem is that not all the build instructions are
being executed.  If you look at the make out put, you'll see make enter a
number of directories and do nothing.  The reason for this is probably to
be found near the top of ./configure:

checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing

aclocal and automake are part of the automake package, and autoconf and
autoheader are in the autoconf package.  I presume these are needed to
compile ices.  Even if they're not, many many programs need these 2
packages, so it's a good idea to install them.  I don't appear to have
makeinfo either, so I can't tell you what package that's in.

While looking over the ./configure output, I also noticed these:

checking for lame/lame.h... (cached) no
checking for lame.h... (cached) no
Could not find a valid LAME library, reencoding disabled
Vorbis is disabled because LAME is not enabled
checking for perl_construct... (cached) yes
checking for Python.h... (cached) no
Could not find the python library, python scripting disabled
checking for xml2-config... no
checking for xml-config... no
Compiling without libxml support - no configfiles

this would indicate that even if you could get ices to build, it would be
very limited in some of its functionality.  You will want LAME installed if
you want to re-encode to other bitrates.  You will also want LAME
installed, along withe the ogg and Vorbis libraries, if you want to be able
to use Ogg Vorbis files to source your stream.  The XML lib is presumably
used for parsing XML configuration files.  The python library is only an
issue if you wish to script in python.

Note that if you wish to use RPM's of these packages that ices is looking
for, you will need the devel packages installed.

One more thing.  After you sort all this out and are ready to compile, I
highly recommend doing the following from the ices directory:

make clean
rm config.cache

Then go on to do ./configure as before.  This will ensure that bits of your
previous compiles aren't lying around.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.

--