[icecast] Darkice memory leak

Kristjan Gu?ni Bjarnason kgb at gangverk.is
Tue Apr 9 10:11:40 UTC 2002

Nicu, maybe you are right but what got me started watching the memory was
this log in /var/log/messages after darkice went down.

Apr  8 00:16:54 nitro kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 1997 (bash).
Apr  8 00:16:59 nitro login(pam_unix)[1996]: session closed for user kgb
Apr  8 00:17:01 nitro kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2025 (bash).
Apr  8 00:17:15 nitro kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2112 (darkice).
Apr  8 00:17:16 nitro login(pam_unix)[2024]: session closed for user kgb

vmstat 1 tells me that somebody is allocating 24 kb/s because the free (idle
memory keeps decreasing).  The buffer size stays almost constant.  I watched
the memory usage for a while. Free memory went down to approx 2800 kbytes
(24 kb/s) but then it stopped and the buffersize started to decrease by the
same amount.  During both free memory and buffer decrease the swap memory
stayed almost constant.  Once the buffermemory was down to approx 400 kb the
swap memory started to decrease.  I haven't change the kernel params but I
guess that won't change anything.

Kristjan