[icecast] Applying dynamic compression to live audio

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Apr 4 15:34:23 UTC 2002

> While dynamic compression makes the transmission 'smaller' on FM radio,
> it makes music harder to compress by psychoacoustic codecs, and therefor
> you might have somewhat of a quality hit, although I haven't tested
> this.
> jack.

It took alot of tweaking to get ours sounding okay. We are running at a
really low streaming rate (11khz, 22kbps) so that 28800 dialup users can
hear the audio. It was hard to get the audio loud with no popping sounds,
and still have some dynamics to it (where it isn't too flat). Most of what
we are streaming is voice -- things go really downhill when music kicks
in.

                                                -- Ethan