[icecast] Applying dynamic compression to live audio

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 4 14:01:04 UTC 2002

Hi:

I want to stream audio from my soundcard, but I'd like to apply some
dynamic compression to it first (ala winamp's audiostocker plus shoutmuxer
thingy).  I heard rumours of compression in liveice, but Iv'e been told
that this only works when it plays from prerecorded MP3, not the live
input.  I'd like to do this with darkice, but can't see how it could be
done.  I guess I'd either need to use ecasound or something to get the
sound from the card, process it and then somehow pipe it into a streamer.
But neither liveice or darkice would seem to accept audio via a pipe.  I
guess the other alternative would be to hack darkice to be able to insert
LADSPA plugins, which would be a neat thing, but then there'd be the issue
of configuring them which would be an interesting UI issue.

any ideas?

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>