[icecast] Is there Spam in the list?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Sep 28 17:36:34 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 11:56:44PM +0200, Xavier Montero wrote:
> I'm getting some messages that seem to be spam in the list...
> Am I the only one? Is this punctual or typical in the list?
> Was not it a list where people had to sign-up? How do they
> spam?

They get through now and then, yes.  I'm not blocking spam via
majordomo, I'm blocking it at the mailserver (postfix) using filtering
patters and spam-blocking maps maintained by anti-abuse sites.  Every
now and then a new pattern/site pops up and it takes a little while
for the map to be updated to include it.

The only perfect solution is to make every list moderated, and that's
not going to happen.

As for making posts by members only, that screws anyone who's subbed
at one address but posting from one or more other addresses (a
perfectly normal way of doing, for example, by-list procmail filing,
or just posting from work, etc)

Monty