[icecast] a new directory service

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Sep 18 03:23:43 UTC 2001

>> The Number of listeners *has* to remain in, it's up to the directory
>> server to do whatever they want with it.
>I disagree. It's fundamentally a different kind of data. It's
>time-dependent. All the other information is not.
>jack.
I'd just like to say that time-dependent information is very important to a
listener.  Removing it from the directory would be a step backward from
where things are today (my opinion).

I realize that this has some implications that are not entirely obvious
(such as the replication of the directory - how can you manage replication
when you have time-dependent information), but that still doesn't change the
fact that this information is critical (my opinion) to the directory. I
think if you make a directory without any metrics such as listener counts
(or something that represents listener counts) or current song titles, then
well,it really loses alot of appeal (my opinion)

perhaps a compromize of both time-dependent and non-time-dependent
information ?

I also don't like the idea of a client sending out 100 requests to all
listed servers to say, "Hey, what are you playing".  Flashbacks from
RadioSpy...

oddsock