[icecast] icecast 2.x & a control panel?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Sep 14 11:47:06 UTC 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Rocael Hernandez wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have a some of questions, I know that you can guide
> me through this:
>
> 1. Where I can get icecast 2.x?

Icecast2 has been up till now in the icecast bitkeeper repository.  Jack
posted a couple of days ago that it would be moving to the xiph.org CVS.
You can also get an August 7 snapshot from http://i.cantcode.com/~jack/ and
versions for win32 and freebsd from http://www.oddsock.org/icecast2/ (hmmm
I see dsp_oddcast beta28 is in there also).

> 2. What's the main difference between icecast 1.3.11 &
> 2.x?

icecast2 only supports the ogg vorbis audio codec at present.  this will
probably change eventually.

> 3. I will stream live audio from a radio, is better if
> I user 2.x?

Well, from a free software point of view, better to use icecast2.  Do you
have a target audience?  what bandwidth?

> 4. I would like to have a sort of control panel that
> could have a functionality like this (better if its
> open-source):
> *Record the Ips & subnets that are listening

I think this data is logged already.

> *block or allow some of that Ips or subnets

You can do this (IIRC) with icecast1x.  I'm sure ice2 will let you do that
by the time it's released.

> *Keep track in a web interfase of who are my
> listeners, what are the most frequent hours, max
> number of concurrent users, average listen time, etc.

Could a log analiser do this?

> *Kick a client after some X time automaticly

Again, this would likely end up as a config option, I'm guessing.

> *Give me the Kb transfered in average, by user and the
> totals by day, month, etc.

Another log analysis job.

> And everything in stored a DB.
>
> Is there a program that does something like this?

Not that I know of, but I would think that writing one would probably be a
relatively easy job.

> If I need to implement it by myself, where I should
> start? how to interact with icecast?

Well, both icecasts log a lot of what you want, so you should be able to
analise the logs for some of the data you want.  Also, icecast2 will
produce stats in xml which you might be able to use (connect to
http://server:port/stats.xml).  Icecast1.x has a telnet interface and a web
interface (I think) for admin, which might also help.  If you decide to go
with icecast1.x, check out the manual, it's got a lot of neat stuff in it.

Geoff.